Illinois Medicare Supplement Insurance Review:
American National Insurance Company
We analyzed American National's Medicare Supplement Insurance in Illinois for this brief review. We compared it to all other insurance carriers in the state and gave their offering 3.5 out of 5 stars. Here's what we like and dislike about American National:
- Top 5 Lowest Plan F premium.
- Excellent financial strength.
- Over 10 years in the Medicare Supplements business.
- No charge for writing the policy.
- Does not offer Medicare SELECT plans.
- Does not sell the 5 most popular plans.
REVIEW SUMMARY: A Medicare Supplement Insurance carrier since 2005, American National Insurance Company has a "A- Rating" from A.M. Best. Our "Likes" list are just a few reasons we recommend American National to seniors in Illinois.
American National vs. Competition
The following table shows how American National compares with other carriers we reviewed in Illinois.
Contact American National Medicare Supplement Sales
For assistance anytime, call 800-MEDICARE (800-633-4227). TTY users can call 877-486-2048 or browse to www.medicare.gov.
American National Medicare Supplement Plans in Illinois
American National offers 3 Medicare Supplements in Illinois. Use these links to learn how each plan covers you:
Plan A is the most basic of all Medigap plans and offers the least benefits. However, it does cover some of the more risky gaps in Original Medicare. It covers:
- Medicare Part A coinsurance payments up to an additional 365 days after Original Medicare benefits are exhausted
- Medicare Part B co-payment or coinsurance expenses, including preventative care coinsurance expenses
- The first three pints of blood used in a medical procedure
- Part A hospice care coinsurance expense or co-payment
Monthly Premium as Tested: $83.40
IMPORTANT: Beneficiaries of this plan are responsible for covering their Part A deductible in full, which includes hospitalization costs, Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) care, hospice care, and some home health care services. This plan might be suitable if you have no desire to pay costly premiums for benefits you are not likely to use.
CRITICAL: Most Medigap plans pay some or all of the Part A deductible. In general, Plan A is the least expensive, but other plans offer more coverage. It's important to realize that this plan has the potential for high out-of-pocket costs should you require inpatient hospital care. Make this a serious consideration before choosing this plan.
Out of the 10 standardized plans available in Illinois that American National offers, American National Medicare Supplement Plan F is the most comprehensive. The expansive coverage makes it very popular, but it's also the most expensive.
With Plan F, American National covers:
- Part A deductible.
- Part A hospice care co-payment or coinsurance.
- Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) coinsurance.
- Part A hospital and coinsurance costs up to an additional 356 days after Medicare benefits are exhausted.
- Part B deductible.
- Part B excess charges.
- Preventative care Part B coinsurance.
- Part B co-insurance or co-payment.
- First three pints of blood used in an approved medical procedure (annually).
- Foreign travel emergency.
As you can see, Plan F leaves you with zero out-of-pocket costs. That's because it pays all remaining doctor, specialist, lab, hospital, skilled nursing and home care costs after Medicare pays its share.
Monthly Premium as Tested: $114.76
Plan G is nearly identical to Plan F. Both offer comprehensive coverage. The difference is that Medicare Plan G requires you to pay the Medicare Part B deductible. That's the only out-of-pocket expense with this policy. Here's what it covers:
- Medicare Part A hospital coinsurance and all costs up to 365 days after Original Medicare benefits are exhausted
- Part A hospice care coinsurance or co-payment
- Part A deductible
- Medicare Part B preventive care coinsurance coverage
- Part B coinsurance or co-payment coverage
- Part B excess charges
- First three pints of blood for a medical procedure
- Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) care coinsurance coverage
- Foreign travel emergency coverage
Monthly Premium as Tested: $91.24
IMPORTANT: Most Medigap plans don't cover Part B excess charges, but this plan does. Excess charges are additional expenses incurred outside of the Medicare-approved charge. This coverage is particularly beneficial if you have frequent medical needs.
American National Insurance Company offers its supplemental insurance policies in Chicago, Naperville, Elgin, Aurora, Rockford, Joliet, Springfield, Peoria, Waukegan, Cicero, and most other Illinois towns, cities, and rural areas.
The Med Supp data on MedicareNavigators.com comes from Medicare.gov and private sources and is subject to update without notice. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the Illinois State Insurance Commission, and American National have not reviewed nor do they endorse our content.
We are not compensated by your enrollment decisions. However, we are compensated through advertising on this page. See our FTC Disclosure page for more information.
The American National emblem and name are legal U.S. trademarks of American National Insurance Company. We make no claim to the marks, nor do we represent American National or its products and services. We use the company's name and emblem on this page for editorial purposes, as permitted by U.S. Trademark Fair Use Law and the laws of the Great State of Illinois.
The content on this page was last updated on .