Montana Medicare Supplement Insurance Review:
Americo Financial Life and Annuity Insurance Company
We analyzed Americo Life's Medicare Supplement Insurance in Montana for this brief review. We compared it to all other insurance carriers in the state and gave their offering 4.0 out of 5 stars. Here's what we like and dislike about Americo Life:
- Top 5 Lowest Plan F premium.
- Excellent financial strength.
- No charge for writing the policy.
- Limited experience in the Medicare Supplements business.
- Does not offer Medicare SELECT plans.
- Does not sell the 5 most popular plans.
REVIEW SUMMARY: A Medicare Supplement Insurance carrier since 2015, Americo Financial Life and Annuity Insurance Company has a "A Rating" from A.M. Best. Americo Life might be relatively new in the business, but they are financially strong and have good rates, so we feel they are one of the better options for Montana seniors.
Americo Life vs. Competition
The following table shows how Americo Life compares with other carriers we reviewed in Montana.
Contact Americo Life Medicare Supplement Sales
For assistance anytime, call 800-MEDICARE (800-633-4227). TTY users can call 877-486-2048 or browse to www.medicare.gov.
Americo Life Medicare Supplement Plans in Montana
Americo Life offers 4 Medicare Supplements in Montana. Use these links to learn how each plan covers you:
Plan A is the most basic of all Medigap plans and offers the least benefits. However, it does cover some of the more risky gaps in Original Medicare. It covers:
- Medicare Part A coinsurance payments up to an additional 365 days after Original Medicare benefits are exhausted
- Medicare Part B co-payment or coinsurance expenses, including preventative care coinsurance expenses
- The first three pints of blood used in a medical procedure
- Part A hospice care coinsurance expense or co-payment
Monthly Premium as Tested: $105.87
IMPORTANT: Beneficiaries of this plan are responsible for covering their Part A deductible in full, which includes hospitalization costs, Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) care, hospice care, and some home health care services. This plan might be suitable if you have no desire to pay costly premiums for benefits you are not likely to use.
CRITICAL: Most Medigap plans pay some or all of the Part A deductible. In general, Plan A is the least expensive, but other plans offer more coverage. It's important to realize that this plan has the potential for high out-of-pocket costs should you require inpatient hospital care. Make this a serious consideration before choosing this plan.
Out of the 10 standardized plans available in Montana that Americo Life offers, Americo Life Medicare Supplement Plan F is the most comprehensive. The expansive coverage makes it very popular, but it's also the most expensive.
With Plan F, Americo Life covers:
- Part A deductible.
- Part A hospice care co-payment or coinsurance.
- Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) coinsurance.
- Part A hospital and coinsurance costs up to an additional 356 days after Medicare benefits are exhausted.
- Part B deductible.
- Part B excess charges.
- Preventative care Part B coinsurance.
- Part B co-insurance or co-payment.
- First three pints of blood used in an approved medical procedure (annually).
- Foreign travel emergency.
As you can see, Plan F leaves you with zero out-of-pocket costs. That's because it pays all remaining doctor, specialist, lab, hospital, skilled nursing and home care costs after Medicare pays its share.
Monthly Premium as Tested: $131.33
Plan G is nearly identical to Plan F. Both offer comprehensive coverage. The difference is that Medicare Plan G requires you to pay the Medicare Part B deductible. That's the only out-of-pocket expense with this policy. Here's what it covers:
- Medicare Part A hospital coinsurance and all costs up to 365 days after Original Medicare benefits are exhausted
- Part A hospice care coinsurance or co-payment
- Part A deductible
- Medicare Part B preventive care coinsurance coverage
- Part B coinsurance or co-payment coverage
- Part B excess charges
- First three pints of blood for a medical procedure
- Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) care coinsurance coverage
- Foreign travel emergency coverage
Monthly Premium as Tested: $105.55
IMPORTANT: Most Medigap plans don't cover Part B excess charges, but this plan does. Excess charges are additional expenses incurred outside of the Medicare-approved charge. This coverage is particularly beneficial if you have frequent medical needs.
Plan N is one of the newest supplements available in Montana. It fills Medicare coverage gaps in a slightly different way by providing coverage in addition to the standard benefits. Here's what it includes:
- Medicare Part A hospital coinsurance and other costs up to an additional 365 days after Original Medicare benefits are exhausted
- Medicare Part A hospice care coinsurance or co-payment
- Medicare Part B coinsurance or co-payments (except for a co-payment of up to $20 for some office visits and up to a $50 co-payment for emergency room visits that do not result in inpatient care)
- First three pints of blood used in a medical procedure
Plan N also offers these additional benefits:
- Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) coinsurance
- Medicare Part A deductible
- Foreign travel emergency care (up to plan limits)
Monthly Premium as Tested: $86.77
IMPORTANT: Plan N typcally costs about 25% less than a Plan F because it covers fewer gaps. In most cases, beneficiaries will be required to pay a $20 copayment when they see their doctor or go to the emergency room (unless admitted). Plus, the Part B deductible and Part B excess charges are not covered.
Americo Financial Life and Annuity Insurance Company offers its supplemental insurance policies in Billings, Missoula, Great Falls, Bozeman, Butte, Helena, and most other Montana towns, cities, and rural areas.
The Med Supp data on MedicareNavigators.com comes from Medicare.gov and private sources and is subject to update without notice. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the Montana State Insurance Commission, and Americo Life have not reviewed nor do they endorse our content.
We are not compensated by your enrollment decisions. However, we are compensated through advertising on this page. See our FTC Disclosure page for more information.
The Americo Life emblem and name are legal U.S. trademarks of Americo Financial Life and Annuity Insurance Company . We make no claim to the marks, nor do we represent Americo Life or its products and services. We use the company's name and emblem on this page for editorial purposes, as permitted by U.S. Trademark Fair Use Law and the laws of the Great State of Montana.
The content on this page was last updated on .