Arkansas Medicare Supplement Insurance Review:
USAA Life Insurance Company
We analyzed USAA Life's Medicare Supplement Insurance in Arkansas for this brief review. We compared it to all other insurance carriers in the state and gave their offering 4.0 out of 5 stars. Here's what we like and dislike about USAA Life:
- Top 10 Lowest Plan F premium.
- Superior financial strength.
- Over 25 years in the Medicare Supplements business.
- No charge for writing the policy.
- Does not offer Medicare SELECT plans.
- Does not sell the 5 most popular plans.
REVIEW SUMMARY: A Medicare Supplement Insurance carrier since 1992, USAA Life Insurance Company has a "A++ Rating" from A.M. Best. Our "Likes" list are just a few reasons we recommend USAA Life to seniors in Arkansas.
USAA Life vs. Competition
The following table shows how USAA Life compares with other carriers we reviewed in Arkansas.
Contact USAA Life Medicare Supplement Sales
For assistance anytime, call 800-MEDICARE (800-633-4227). TTY users can call 877-486-2048 or browse to www.medicare.gov.
USAA Life Medicare Supplement Plans in Arkansas
USAA Life offers 3 Medicare Supplements in Arkansas. Use these links to learn how each plan covers you:
Plan A is the most basic of all Medigap plans and offers the least benefits. However, it does cover some of the more risky gaps in Original Medicare. It covers:
- Medicare Part A coinsurance payments up to an additional 365 days after Original Medicare benefits are exhausted
- Medicare Part B co-payment or coinsurance expenses, including preventative care coinsurance expenses
- The first three pints of blood used in a medical procedure
- Part A hospice care coinsurance expense or co-payment
Monthly Premium as Tested: $136.51
IMPORTANT: Beneficiaries of this plan are responsible for covering their Part A deductible in full, which includes hospitalization costs, Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) care, hospice care, and some home health care services. This plan might be suitable if you have no desire to pay costly premiums for benefits you are not likely to use.
CRITICAL: Most Medigap plans pay some or all of the Part A deductible. In general, Plan A is the least expensive, but other plans offer more coverage. It's important to realize that this plan has the potential for high out-of-pocket costs should you require inpatient hospital care. Make this a serious consideration before choosing this plan.
Out of the 10 standardized plans available in Arkansas that USAA Life offers, USAA Life Medicare Supplement Plan F is the most comprehensive. The expansive coverage makes it very popular, but it's also the most expensive.
With Plan F, USAA Life covers:
- Part A deductible.
- Part A hospice care co-payment or coinsurance.
- Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) coinsurance.
- Part A hospital and coinsurance costs up to an additional 356 days after Medicare benefits are exhausted.
- Part B deductible.
- Part B excess charges.
- Preventative care Part B coinsurance.
- Part B co-insurance or co-payment.
- First three pints of blood used in an approved medical procedure (annually).
- Foreign travel emergency.
As you can see, Plan F leaves you with zero out-of-pocket costs. That's because it pays all remaining doctor, specialist, lab, hospital, skilled nursing and home care costs after Medicare pays its share.
Monthly Premium as Tested: $186.15
Plan N is one of the newest supplements available in Arkansas. It fills Medicare coverage gaps in a slightly different way by providing coverage in addition to the standard benefits. Here's what it includes:
- Medicare Part A hospital coinsurance and other costs up to an additional 365 days after Original Medicare benefits are exhausted
- Medicare Part A hospice care coinsurance or co-payment
- Medicare Part B coinsurance or co-payments (except for a co-payment of up to $20 for some office visits and up to a $50 co-payment for emergency room visits that do not result in inpatient care)
- First three pints of blood used in a medical procedure
Plan N also offers these additional benefits:
- Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) coinsurance
- Medicare Part A deductible
- Foreign travel emergency care (up to plan limits)
Monthly Premium as Tested: $124.61
IMPORTANT: Plan N typcally costs about 25% less than a Plan F because it covers fewer gaps. In most cases, beneficiaries will be required to pay a $20 copayment when they see their doctor or go to the emergency room (unless admitted). Plus, the Part B deductible and Part B excess charges are not covered.
USAA Life Insurance Company offers its supplemental insurance policies in Little Rock, Fort Smith, Fayetteville, Springdale, Jonesboro, Rogers, Pine Bluff, Conway, and most other Arkansas towns, cities, and rural areas.
The Med Supp data on MedicareNavigators.com comes from Medicare.gov and private sources and is subject to update without notice. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the Arkansas State Insurance Commission, and USAA Life have not reviewed nor do they endorse our content.
We are not compensated by your enrollment decisions. However, we are compensated through advertising on this page. See our FTC Disclosure page for more information.
The USAA Life emblem and name are legal U.S. trademarks of USAA Life Insurance Company. We make no claim to the marks, nor do we represent USAA Life or its products and services. We use the company's name and emblem on this page for editorial purposes, as permitted by U.S. Trademark Fair Use Law and the laws of the Great State of Arkansas.
The content on this page was last updated on .