Did you know that Medicare offers a no-cost one-time comprehensive “Welcome to Medicare” preventive visit during the first 12 months that you have Part B? This is a free and easy benefit that helps you and your doctor plan for your current and future health.
Facts about your “Welcome to Medicare” preventive visit
- Free means free- no co-payment or deductible charged
- To take advantage just call your doctor after you sign up for Medicare
- Take advantage of this visit during the first 12 months in which you have Medicare- after that you can also get a free yearly “Wellness” visit
- The visit includes a comprehensive physical and evaluation of your family and medical history, along with preventive tests and screenings
We highly suggest that you take full advantage of this opportunity to build an active relationship with your doctor. Here are a few pieces of information you may wish to take along with you on the visit:
- Detailed family medical history
- Personal medical records (including immunizations)
- Full list of any supplements and medications you are taking, along with the dosage amounts
- A list of your current medical and specialty care providers
- Any questions or concerns you and your family may have about your current or future health
Remember, this visit is your benefit- take advantage, ask questions, and bring along a loved one or friend if you wish. Be sure to ask about any other exams or tests that your doctor may suggest and whether or not those are covered by Medicare. To view the full list of Medicare’s Preventive Services, click here.