- Calcium is the main mineral in your bones and teeth; these contain most of your body’s calcium, and the rest helps perform various bodily functions. Calcium deficiency can lead to osteoporosis and many other maladies. Dairy products not only are calcium-rich but help your body absorb it. Other good sources of calcium include canned fish with bones, leafy green vegetables, tofu, and almonds.
- Phosphorus is also essential for bones and teeth, and other needs of the body. To absorb phosphorus you must have sufficient vitamin D. Phosphorus can be found in red meat, fish, poultry, legumes, dairy products, nuts, and whole grains like oatmeal.
- Potassium serves many important bodily functions; in addition, if you regularly eat potassium-rich foods it can help control your blood pressure, decreasing the risk of heart failure and stroke. You can get potassium from vegetables like asparagus, spinach, and tomatoes; from bananas, cantaloupe, oranges, and avocados; from whole grains and potatoes with skins; from dairy products, lentils, soybeans, and red meat.
- Magnesium is essential for the body in many ways. Vitamin D helps your body absorb it. It can be found in vegetables like okra, artichokes, spinach, and turnip greens; in whole grains, red meat, legumes, beans, nuts, seeds, and tofu.
- Sodium is necessary to control the amount of water in the body, transmit nerve signals, and maintain the normal pH of blood. All foods contain some sodium, and a common problem is not so much deficiency as over-consumption. This can lead to high blood pressure and other potentially fatal ailments.
- Sulfur helps in the manufacture of amino acids and in the conversion of carbohydrates into useful forms, and aids in other important bodily functions. It is found naturally in all foods and so deficiency is not a problem. It is especially rich in red meats, egg yolks, chicken, seafood, leafy green vegetables, raspberries, dairy products, and nuts.
In conclusion, seniors, to maintain good health be sure you are getting the right amounts of these necessary minerals.